If you are anything like me you have just 5 meals that you cook on rotation for you and your kids. Throw in time constraints, fussy kids, later and later bedtimes and the fact you only need to press one button to repeat your weekly shop, it is unsurprising that so many of us find ourselves in a food rut!
Does it sound like a familiar story? I often feel guilty that i am not giving my kids a more varied diet and somewhere along the line I've lost my own love of cooking and discovering new recipes.
However, since the New Year I have been subscribing to Mindful Chef and its been a revelation! Mindful Chef is a young company with the aim of making healthy eating easy. They source their produce from small farms in the west country (where all the founders grew up) and deliver pre-portioned ingredients straight to your door so you can cook up delicious, healthy recipes in under 30 minutes. Perfect for mothers!
All of their recipes are gluten-free and they never use refined carbohydrates, instead filling recipes with nutritious vegetables, high quality proteins, healthy fats and unrefined carbohydrates. They are also the only recipe box in the UK to cater to vegans and have 4 vegan recipes each week, alongside our 4 meat and fish recipes.
You pick the recipes you fancy and it takes all the stress and planning out of cooking in the week! They have kindly shared with us one of their easiest and best family recipes plus if you use the code MAMAHOOD at checkout you can give it a whirl yourself with no commitment and you will get 25% off your first box! What are you waiting for?
Coconut Fish Pie with Sweet Potato Mash (serves 2)
120g green beans
1 tsp smoked paprika
200ml coconut milk
2 tsp cornflour
2 tsp oil
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
300g fish pie selection
300g sweet potato
Large handful of flat-leaf parsley
590 calories • 53g carbs • 25g fat • 35g protein
1. Boil a kettle. Peel and chop the sweet potato into 4cm pieces. Trim the green beans and thinly slice the leek, removing the root end. Roughly chop the parsley.
2. Place the sweet potato in a saucepan of boiling water and simmer with a pinch of sea salt for 5 mins. Then add the green beans and simmer for a further 5 mins.
3. Drain the vegetables, remove the green beans and keep warm, and mash the sweet potato with a potato masher (or with a fork). Meanwhile, heat 2 tsp of oil in a medium-sized pan and fry the leek for 5 mins.
4. Pour 1 tbsp of the coconut milk in a bowl and mix in the cornflour to form a smooth paste. Add the remaining coconut milk to the leek pan with the cornflour mix, smoked paprika, mustard. Simmer gently for 5 mins until the sauce thickens.
5. Preheat the grill to high. Then stir in the fish and spinach and place a lid on the pan, simmer for a further 5 mins. Stir in the parsley and season with sea salt and black pepper.
6. Place the coconut fish pie mix into an ovenproof dish and spoon over the sweet potato mash. Place under the grill for 5 mins.
7. Serve the coconut fish pie on two warm plates alongside the green beans, and scatter over the remaining parsley.
Why not give them a try? Sign up for your first box (using code MAMAHOOD) and get 25% off.